Thick luscious hair can do wondrous things for your confidence. In fact, it can and has been known to change a person’s look a lot more than one might think possible. When it comes to men thinning and/or baldness can be problematic, and as a result, there is many products and styles possible to help resolve this problem. One common option that a growing number of men choose and look into is wearing wigs designed specifically for men.
Wearing wigs have become a norm and a popular trend among both men and women, although many people have yet to realize this fact. Yes, I said M E N. What you might not know is, more and more men are deciding to wear wigs once they have a clear understanding of their cost, usage, and how to wear one with a natural-looking appearance.
A Few Things You Should Know About Wigs For Men
Some men who wear wigs have unfortunately decided not to take the time to make sure they thoroughly educate themselves on how to care for, buy, and use them correctly. Worse yet, it’s a common thing that no time or money is invested in a proper understanding of them and their associated products for care. Often, these men chose wigs or hairpieces that are very noticeable, fake-looking and just plain horrible… no offense… which often results in an unpleasant reaction from others. That, of course, results in the wearer deciding to give up on these types of wigs entirely.
What you should know is, there are a lot of good quality wigs nowadays that look both real and natural. A lack of knowledge of this subject is the primary reason why it’s not common that we hear about men wearing wigs. The good news is that high-quality wigs are undetectable and no one will notice that you are wearing one if you choose to do so. At the end of the day, it merely comes down to making the wearer taking the time to educate themselves about the kind of wig they’re buying.
If you are thinking about purchasing one, there are four things that you should know about men’s wigs.
1) Men’s Human Hair vs Synthetic Hair Wigs
You can choose between human hair wigs and synthetic hair wigs, depending on your budget and needs. Before you decide, let me tell you about the differences between human hair and synthetic hair wigs. (Most of what I’m about to say applies to both men’s and women’s wigs.
- Human Hair – It is the most popular choice of material for wigs. They often have a very natural look, feel and movement. It can be unbelievably soft and shiny; just like healthy human hair that grows naturally on someone’s head.. Human hair wigs are durable, making it possible to style it like a real hair. One of the most appealing aspects of this type of wig is that if cared for, it can last over a year.
The only drawback to this, aside from the price, is they require maintenance and care. It takes a bit of effort but anyone that has worn a wig for any period of time will tell you it’s worth the effort.
- Synthetic Hair – Technology advancements have made synthetic hair as close to natural hair as possible. The texture and color of the hair make it look real, even when you put it side by side with human hair. It doesn’t frizz or droop during bad weather; something that can’t always be said about human hair wigs for men.
However, synthetic hair can lack in versatility. Most of these types of wigs cannot be styled in multiple ways, but you can always opt for heat-friendly synthetic hair wigs if you need. Doing so will allow you to use more styles if done properly. Additionally, another drawback is they typically last for about four to six months and two to three months for heat-friendly synthetics. On the positive side, it is affordable and comes with a wide variety in style options.
2) Different Types of Men’s Wig Caps
Not all wigs for men are equal. Aside from choosing between human or synthetic hair, there are also different types of wig caps to consider.
Basically, the wig cap is the material that the hair is attached to. Each type has its advantages and disadvantages, which means you’ll have to choose which is best for you individually. Here are a few common types.
- Lace Front – This type of wig cap can give you the most natural looking hair. Each hair is individually hand-tied to a section of sheer lace to create the illusion of natural hair growth. It allows you to style your hair away from the face, revealing a natural-looking hairline.
- Monofilament – Monofilament caps use a mesh material on which individual hairs can be tied to. This makes it look natural and allows you to part and style the hair in any direction. The mesh material is soft and comfortable. If you have a sensitive scalp, you can always opt for double filament caps which have an extra layer of soft material to protect your scalp.
- 100% Hand-Tied – This type of wig cap uses the same cap material as the monofilament, but the hairs are all hand-tied. In some cases, it is hand-tied on the crown and the rest is machine-attached. This allows a lot of movement which generally makes it look very natural.
- Basic Caps – This is the most durable and affordable option. With this type, the hairs are sewn into the cap. It is styled and combed to hide the cap. There is also a capless wig, where the cap is replaced with vertical strips of lace between the stitches. It has a bit more volume and lift in the crown.
3) Secrets To A Natural Looking Wig
Professionals use tricks to make wigs look natural when you wear their clients wear them. Shopping for wigs with the best quality as described above, is just the first step. You have to make sure you have the right one for your personal preference, and that you’re using it correctly. I’m going to share you some tricks that are easy and doable.
- Hairline – Men’s hairstyles are short, so it is important for a wig to have a natural looking hairline. Lace front wigs will give you a hairline that blends seamlessly. Wigs are highly customizable and can be made to match your face shape or mimic the ideal hairline that looks good on you.
- Part – As mentioned above monofilament top or part are wig caps featuring hairs that are hand tied to the caps. This gives the illusion of hair growing out of scalp naturally, which in turn makes a part appear natural.
- Placement – Your wig has to be placed perfectly for it not to be noticeable. What you want to avoid is, placing it too far down on your forehead. Figure out where your natural hair should be, and then style and place the wig accordingly.
- Right Size – When buying a wig, make sure that it is the right size. The best way to do this is to get the opinion of the person or store selling the wig, and making sure it feels comfortable.
4) Mens Wig Care Instructions & Reminders
Depending on the hair type of your wig, you’ll DEFINITELY need to know how to take care for that specific wig type. This helps in maintaining the quality of the wig and increases its longevity.
- Human Hair Wig Care – Always keep in mind to use only hair care products that are specifically made for highly processed human hair. You’ll need to gently comb and wash it after about eight to ten uses. Don’t forget to condition and hydrate the hair to keep it soft and shiny; just like you would naturally grown hair. You can use a hair dryer on it, but I strongly advise you to take the time to allow it to air dry it instead.
- Synthetic Hair Wig Care – Synthetic hair needs to be washed after wearing it six to eight times. Remember to detangle the hair before washing it with shampoo. Apply wig conditioner on the hair after every wash. This provides a protective layer for the hair and helps you to detangle knots. Do not use a hair dryer or brush. Finally, avoid squeezing or wringing it.
With what has been mentioned above, you should now feel confident in wearing your new hair in public if you remember and apply these simple tips. Whatever your reason for wearing one, you shouldn’t be ashamed of this personal choice. Just remember that your priority is to make it as natural-looking and comfortable as possible. Just like real hair, be sure to choose, wear and care for your wig correctly.