Wearing wigs is nothing new to the fashion world obviously because people have been using them for centuries. However, in these modern times, there are more choices and reasons to wear one as there’s ever been.
There are a variety of reasons why a person might choose to wear a wig. Your hair may be starting to get thinner, or you have been suffering from hair loss for quite a while; possibly as a result of a medical condition. Perhaps, you simply want to be a redhead or brunette, when you’re naturally a different color. Whatever your reason is, opting for human hair wigs can easily be the best solution for you. Consider the following…
What You Need to Look for In Human Hair Wigs
1. The most natural appearance and feel. If you want the closest thing to real hair that you can wear and buy, human hair wigs can certainly deliver. People love the fact that they can flow and respond naturally. Moreover, you can add or change the color of your human hair wig as often as possible; something that pretty much impossible with synthetic wigs.
2. Versatility with styling. If you want to purchase a wig that requires a 100% custom style, it is possible to choose from a selection of uncut hair wigs. A specialist will cut your desired hairstyle from the uncut hair you select. Yet another benefit of going with a human hair wig, you have the option of styling it just like you would with real naturally grown hair. Just like real hair that grows on your scalp, a wig made of human hair can be worn straight today and curly the next day.
3. Ability to customize. Wigs that are made of human hair are usually customized to fit exactly to your head. The process involves getting your head and scalp cast measured; which provides the reassurance that any wig you purchase will fit the just the way you want it to. The custom-made base of the wig plus the human hair that is added produces a comfortable and secure fit.
4. Beneficial for hair loss conditions. Using a human hair wig is a useful and valuable investment for people who are experiencing hair loss.
5. Restore and improve self-confidence. People, in general, handle hair loss, in all of its forms, differently. While some embrace this change in their appearance, others have a difficult time accepting it. With that said, some people find that wearing a wig can help regain confidence in their appearance.
6. It is cost-effective. While it is given that wigs made with human hair are generally more expensive than synthetic ones, with the passing of time… that is not always the case. A human hair can last for more than one year; even when used daily. This alone can save money, and reduce the need to buy a new wig every few months or so; something that cannot be said of synthetic wigs.
Additionally, haircuts and going to the salon to change your look can be costly. But, if you wear a human hair wig that is already styled and in your favorite hair color, you can save some of your money.
Shopping for Wigs: The Do’s and Don’ts
Wigs are investments and people spend a good amount of money to buy them. To get the most out the money you spend, there are a few things that you must keep in mind and other things that you should avoid. They are as follows:
1. When choosing the right one for you, try putting them on to see if there is any measure of discomfort. The reason is that all hairstyles won’t complement your personal style or even the shape of your face.
2. If you want to change styles or cut your wig, it is better to take it to a hairstylist to do it for you, pay the associated fees, and let the expert do the job.
3. When putting on your wig, make sure that you have a natural-looking hairline.
4. As a form of protection, braid or wrap your natural hair under your wig before putting it on.
5. Pick a human hair wig that is appropriate for your current age.
6. When you are not wearing your wig, place it on a wig stand to help maintain its shape.
7. When it is time to brush the wig, do so gradually… starting at the tips and gradually going closer and closer to the roots.
8. When it comes to brushing curly wigs, use a paddle brush to create a more natural look.
9. If you want to style or curl your hair wig, put it on your head so you can easily see if it looks good on you; but do so with care and caution.
1. It is not advisable to wear your wig when your real hair is still wet. Your hair should be dry to prevent the accumulation of bacteria.
2. Do not use an extremely tight wig, as this can damage and break your real hair. This can also result in a headache.
3. Don’t wear a wig for a long period of time, as this can clear out your hairline and result in naturally grown hair loss and thinning.
4. It is not ideal to wear a wig directly from the box, instead, wash and dry it before use. Additionally, if you choose to wear it without shampooing first, then it is a big giveaway that you have fake hair on your head.
5. Do not use hot water when washing your wig.
6. Do not brush or comb up to the roots of the wig; keep in mind that doing so can easily damage the foundation of the wig.
7. Avoid using off-the-shelf holding spray, gel, or mousse that are NOT specifically made for wigs.
Steps to Cleaning Your Wigs
1. Washing. Apply shampoo downward, from top to bottom. Use your hands and fingers to enable the shampoo to penetrate the inner part of the wig.
2. Conditioning. Apply conditioner in a downward motion, leave it in for about 5 minutes, and comb the hair before rinsing to de-tangle.
3. Rinsing. Use lukewarm water when rinsing a hair wig, and be sure to rinse thoroughly.
4. Drying. Make use of a towel and place the wig on top. Fold the towel and press gently to remove excess water; although air drying is by far the best method.
5. Styling. Experts recommend allowing the hair wig to dry for about 50% to 80% before styling it. In this condition, you can typically use a blow dryer, flat iron, or curling iron to create your preferred hairstyle of the day.
● Large – This one is suitable for heads that have 22 to 24 inches in circumference.
● Average – It is the size that generally fits the average head size. It usually has the circumference of 21 to 22 inches.
● Petite – It is ideal for people with heads that measure 20 to 21 inches.
● Ultra petite – It basically has 19 to 20 inches in circumference.
By this point, hopefully, you realize why the wig continues to be the crowning glory that has been difficult for many to achieve at different stages of life. While there are some disadvantages, as with most purchase we make, the advantages are undeniably worth the money, time and effort. Besides, you owe it to yourself to be beautiful and confident whether or not you make the personal decision to wear a wig.